HISTORY OF THE BELMAR LIBRARY
On August 11, 1911 a group of ladies met at the home of Miss Louise Phillips. She and her friends were greatly interested in giving to young people the highly organized activities that could be obtained through a Public Library. With this goal in mind the ladies got together and opened the First Belmar Library on September 23, 1911. During the first year the library grew so rapidly that on May 1, 1912 it had to be moved to a larger building. As interest became greater it finally was decided that even this space was too small.
The Belmar Public Library as it now stands was opened to the public on December 4, 1914. The building is Colonial in style and Edward Tilton of New York was the architect. The plans for the Library were thought to be so excellent by the Carnegie Corporation that they adopted them as the standard for future libraries all over the Country.
In 1935 a portrait of Andrew Carnegie was presented to the Library by the Carnegie Corporation. It is a copy of the portrait painted by Luis Mora. One was given to each of the Carnegie Libraries in the Centennial.
- “Belmar In Retrospect” by Grace Trott Roper