The Belmar Public Library has partnered with the NJ State Library Talking Book and Braille Center and the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped to provide our community patrons access to library materials at NO COST DELIVERY designed specifically for those with print impairments.
Who is eligible for these services?
According to the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, an individual of any age affected by print-impairment has difficulty reading traditional/standard print or has trouble holding a book or turning the pages of a book because of:
- A physical impairment
- A reading disability
- A visual impairment
The impairment may be temporary or permanent.
Children, teens and adults of all ages affected by print-impairment are eligible.
What Services are available through this program?
Eligible patrons will have access to:
- A Digital Talking Book Player (See Demonstration Video Below)
- Audiobooks for the Digital Talking Book Player (Tens of thousands of titles available for all ages)
- Audio Magazines for the Talking Book Player
- Braille books and publications
- Downloadable audiobooks and audio magazines
- A Mobile App for smartphones and tablets: BARD Mobile
- NFB Newsline national news reader service
- A music program (audio, braille and large print music scores, texts and other instructional materials. Music in and of itself is not provided)
- Book Club
- Large Print books for children and teens
- Summer Reading Program
An application must be completed and certified before NLS services can start.
Once a patron has been approved for services, they will have library materials deilivered directly to their home at NO COST from the NJ State Library Talking Book and Braille Center.
Access to BARD (Braille and Audio Reading Download) Mobile App for Smartphones and Tablets will also be available through secondary application.
How do I apply for these services through the NJ State Library Talking Book and Braille Center?
To apply on your own, download the application here—–>HERE.
Note that all applications must include a certification of eligibility by a competent authority other than an immediate family member. See application for details.
To apply with assistance from the Library Staff, call us at 732-681-0775, and we can work with you to complete and submit your application.
To learn more about the Talking Book and Braille Center at the NJ State Library, CLICK HERE.
To learn more about the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, CLICK HERE.
What services are available in-house at the Belmar Public Library?
The Belmar Public Library has the following in house materials and services for those with print impairments:
- 400+ Audiobooks on Audio Compact Disc for use in any standard CD player
- Approximately 800+ Large Print book titles in Adult Fiction
- Aladdin Classic Electronic Book Enlarger
- Storytime Videos for children on our website
- Upcoming new Public Use Computers will have built-in Accessibility features.
- Numerous E-books and Audiobooks available for download through Hoopla, Freading & OverDrive